Eclipse is running in a JRE, but a JDK is required – Solved Problem Eclipse with JRE and JDK mode. How to resolve common problem with java and eclipse.
After a while I sat to one of my old projects again… web-based JEE system to manage requirements of the projects, with maven as a system to manage this project’s dependencies.
However at the end of the installation, after restart of eclipse, I have an error: “The Maven Integration requires that Eclipse be running in a JDK, because a number of Maven core plugins are using jars from the JDK. (…)”.
How to solve it?
Full error message:
The Maven Integration requires that Eclipse be running in a JDK, because a number of Maven core plugins are using jars from the JDK.
Please make sure the -vm option in eclipse.ini is pointing to a JDK and verify that Installed JRE’s are also using JDK installs.
and the second message:
Eclipse is running in a JRE, but a JDK is required.
Some Maven plugins may not work when importing projects or updating source folders.
How to solve it?
- First… install JDK if you don’t have it.
- Set your JDK as default Java Environment in Eclipse (default installed JRE).
- Open eclipse. Click on ‘Window’ -> ‘Preferences’ -> ‘Java’ -> ‘Installed JREs’.
- If you can’t find any JDK on the list -> click ‘Add’ -> ‘Standard VM’ -> set all paths and click ‘Finish’.
- After that – check this JDK on the list of installed JREs and click ‘OK’.
- Add path to your SDK in eclipse.ini.
My full ‘eclipse.ini’ looks like this:
-startup plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar --launcher.library plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.200.v20090519 -showsplash org.eclipse.platform --launcher.XXMaxPermSize 256m -vm C:Progra~1Javajdk1.6.0_17jrebinjavaw -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m
Restart eclipse and everything should be fine.